How to Fill Cupcakes w/out a Pastry Bag
You don’t have to own a pastry bag to fill cupcakes.
This foolproof DIY technique is an easy way to fill cupcakes without running out to buy a pastry bag & tips.
Step 1. Prepare the cake
- When filling cupcakes, the cakes must be COMPLETELY COOL.
- Once cooled, cut a circle out of the top of the cupcakes. When cutting out the top, cut on an angle to create a cone shape out of the top.
Step 2. Remove the Top & Excavate
- Remove the top (keep it close by). Since you cut the tops out on an angle, your cupcake tops should resemble a cone shape.
- Take a look at the hole in the cupcake. Is it big enough? If you need more space for filling, carefully scrape some cake from the hole in the cupcake.
Step 3. Fill the Cakes
- Using a spoon, fill each cupcake. Don’t overfill or the top will not fit back onto the cake.
Step 4. Prepare the Tops
- Now that you filled the cupcakes, the cone shape of the top will no longer fit on top of the cupcake. To fix this, cut the excess cake off the top (see pic).
- Do not throw away the cake crumbs you cut from the top- use them to decorate your finished cupcakes or sprinkle the crumbs over some ice cream- waste not, want not!
Step 5. Top the Cakes
- Carefully replace the tops on each cupcake.
Step 6. NJOY!